For over 100 years, Tamworth Regional Gallery has provided access to the arts in a regional centre. The Gallery first opened on 1 June 1919 as the Tamworth Art Salon and Art Library. It was established with a gift of 100 artworks and art reference books by the local artist and collector John Salvana ‘to encourage art in the country’. Salvana’s donation included incomplete works designed to demonstrate to students how an artwork is constructed. Tamworth Regional Gallery is ideally located in the heart of Tamworth’s CBD on Peel Street, close to shops, parking and the new riverside precinct. There is ample off street parking at the rear of the building with suitable disabled access.
The Gallery offers a rotating program of touring exhibitions of national significance, alongside curated exhibitions of works by regional artists and exhibitions from our permanent collection. Every year, Tamworth Regional Gallery delivers a rich and varied series of workshops, lectures, artist talks, events and engaging public programs. The Gallery houses purpose-built exhibition spaces, conservation collection storage, a retail shop, the Esther Halliday Studio and a research library, and is a fully accessible space. Tamworth Regional Gallery is the result of over 100 years of sustained support from our community, alongside forward planning and investment by Tamworth Regional Council.